Post

Gaza: 300 Children Have Died in 300 Days of “Ceasefire”

Gaza: 300 Children Have Died in 300 Days of “Ceasefire”

Published on: 2026-08-06

Source: United Nations – United Nations –

An important disclaimer is at the bottom of this article.

August 6, 2026 Peace and Security

In the 300 days since the ceasefire agreement between Hamas militants and the Israel Defense Forces took effect in October of last year, at least 300 children have died in the Gaza Strip, according to available data. This was reported on Thursday by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).

UNICEF emphasized that currently families are forced to crowd into approximately one-third of the territory of the sector – among destroyed buildings and rubble.
“The ceasefire does not live up to expectations”
“A ceasefire during which on average one child dies every day does not live up to children’s hopes,” said Eduard Beigbeder, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
“Hundreds of children have been injured, many seriously, and the children of Gaza are still waiting for the promised end to the violence,” he added.
Commenting on reports of negotiations regarding a peace plan, a UN agency representative welcomed recent statements about “steps towards a ceasefire” and the increase in humanitarian aid deliveries.
“For the children of Gaza, the criterion is simple: will the killings stop? Will help reach them in sufficient volume? Will hospitals resume work and will water appear? Will children be able to safely return to school in September?” said Beigbeder.
According to him, the agreements must finally be transformed into real actions.
“Assistance must be provided in sufficient volume”
UNICEF is once again warning that children throughout the enclave continue to suffer from acute malnutrition, diseases, as well as from the lack of safe drinking water and an adequate sewage system.
Throughout the entire period of hostilities that began after the Hamas attacks on Israel, the UN has continued its work to provide assistance to the population.
However, despite efforts to expand the scope of support, UNICEF medical workers report that exhausted mothers with children suffering from severe malnutrition continue to arrive at clinics.
Another consequence of the chronic lack of assistance has been the increase in premature births and newborns in critical condition.
“There are not enough incubators, and in some cases, medical staff report that two or even three infants share one device,” said UNICEF representative Louisa Wateridge.
According to her, children are born in only partially functioning hospitals, where there is a shortage of equipment and medicines.
“This is something the world has decided to accept. The killings must stop, aid must be provided in sufficient volume, and children must be protected,” Wateridge emphasized.
“The world calls this a truce, but families in Gaza are still burying their children,” added the UNICEF representative.
Citing Gaza health authorities, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that since the ceasefire was announced on October 10, 2025, the total number of fatalities has reached 1,209, with 3,943 injured.
Amid ongoing violence, the UN and its partners continue to provide assistance to the residents of the sector. More than 250,000 preschool and school-aged children are participating in summer educational activities that help them maintain a sense of stability and partially make up for the knowledge lost during the hostilities.
Last week, conditions were improved in 3,000 temporary shelters in the city of Gaza.

Please note; This information is raw content obtained directly from the source of the information. It is an accurate report of what the source claims and does not necessarily reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.